If you're experiencing a roadblock with one of the Manhattan Prep GMAT math strategy guides, help is here!
bmshah1
Forum Guests

A number A is a two-digit positive.....FDP 5th ed

by bmshah1 Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:07 pm

I am wondering if somebody can help me understand the rationale behind the correct answer for this DS problem (located on pg 119 MGMAT Guide1 5th Ed.):

The number A is a two-digit positive integer; the number B is the two-digit positive integer formed by reversing the digits of A. If Q = 10B-A, what is the value of Q?

1) The tens digit of A is 7.
2) The tens digit of B is 6.

I am wondering:
1) Why B and "not A" is the answer.
2) What would be the answer if the equation was changed to Q = 10A-B.

Statement 1 indicates that 7 is located in the tens digit of A so in theory you can come up with a number from 70...79 that will allow you to know the value of B as per the requirement in the statement and in turn calculate the value of Q (I am seeing the equation as Q = (10*B) - A).

On the other hand I thought for statement 2 we know the value of B (60...69) but we would not be able to know the value of A (as the statement doesn't indicate that you can reverse the digits of B to determine the value of A). So in my mind I am thinking A as the answer.

BTW the official answer does make sense but I am wondering where am I going wrong.
divineacclivity
Forum Guests

Re: A number A is a two-digit positive.....FDP 5th ed

by divineacclivity Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:07 am

hey,

Since A is a 2-digit number, let's say x is at tens' place and y at unit's, so, the number A can be written as: 10x+y
=> A = 10x + y
Since B is reverse of A => B = 10y + x

Q = 10 B - A
= 10 (10y + x) - (10x + y)
= 100y + 10x - 10x -y
= 99y
and y is unit's digit of A and tens' of B => Answer is B alone

Hope this helps
bmshah1
Forum Guests

by bmshah1 Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:18 am

divineacclivity Wrote:hey,

Since A is a 2-digit number, let's say x is at tens' place and y at unit's, so, the number A can be written as: 10x+y
=> A = 10x + y

Q = 10 B - A
= 100y + 10x - 10x -y
= 99y

Hope this helps

I saw that in the official explanation but it still doesn't clear my confusion that I have made in my original post. If Statement 1 says tens digit of A is 7 then I can make a value of A say 71 then B would be 17 and Q can be easily calculated.
jlucero
Forum Guests

by jlucero Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:09 am

bmshah1 Wrote:

=> A = 10x + y

Q = 10 B - A
= 100y + 10x - 10x -y
= 99y

Hope this helps

I saw that in the official explanation but it still doesn't clear my confusion that I have made in my original post. If Statement 1 says tens digit of A is 7 then I can make a value of A say 71 then B would be 17 and Q can be easily calculated.

I think you are misunderstanding the data sufficiency aspect of this question. You can calculate Q if you know exactly what A or B is. But test out these two examples:

If A = 71 and B = 17, then Q = -71
If A = 72 and B = 27, then Q = 198

This is why (1) is insufficient. Not because we don't know exactly what A or B is, but because Q could be different answers. On the other hand, if we take statement (2):

If B = 61 and A = 16, then Q = 594
If B = 62 and A = 26, then Q = 594
If B = 69 and A = 96, then Q = 594

Algebraically, this is divineacclivity proved. That we can break down the equation Q = 10 B - A to Q = 99y, where we only need to know the value of the tens digit of B.

If you were to switch the equation to Q = 10 B - A, then the algebraic solution would change to Q = 99x, and yes, the answer would change to (A).
Joe Lucero
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
bmshah1
Forum Guests

by bmshah1 Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:36 am

jlucero Wrote:
bmshah1 Wrote:

=> A = 10x + y

Q = 10 B - A
= 100y + 10x - 10x -y
= 99y

Hope this helps

I think you are misunderstanding the data sufficiency aspect of this question. You can calculate Q if you know exactly what A or B is. But test out these two examples:

If A = 71 and B = 17, then Q = -71
If A = 72 and B = 27, then Q = 198

This is why (1) is insufficient. Not because we don't know exactly what A or B is, but because Q could be different answers. On the other hand, if we take statement (2):

If B = 61 and A = 16, then Q = 594
If B = 62 and A = 26, then Q = 594
If B = 69 and A = 96, then Q = 594

Algebraically, this is divineacclivity proved. That we can break down the equation Q = 10 B - A to Q = 99y, where we only need to know the value of the tens digit of B.

If you were to switch the equation to Q = 10 B - A, then the algebraic solution would change to Q = 99x, and yes, the answer would change to (A).

Thanks Joe....that clears the confusion.
divineacclivity
Forum Guests

by divineacclivity Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:30 am

bmshah1 Wrote:

=> A = 10x + y

Q = 10 B - A
= 100y + 10x - 10x -y
= 99y

Hope this helps

Oh, ok. I didn't look it up from OG or any other source. But I'm glad to hear I was thinking on the same lines & I'm glad that your issue is resolved.
tim
Course Students

by tim Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:23 pm

please let us know if there are any further questions about this one..
Tim Sanders

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
NIBA
Students

by NIBA Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:36 am

Hi,

I applied the 'algebraic' method and could arrive at the answer 'B'.

But, say if I do not want to use the algebraic method and want to answer with the information provided i.e, taking both the statements into consideration and I come to conclusion that both statements are required to get the correct answer - 'C'.

1.As per this statement I can conclude that A = 7Y
2.As per this statement I can conclude that B = 6X.

Taking both the statements into consideration:

A = 76
B = 67

Therefore Q = 10*67-76 = 670-76= 594.

Then I get the answer as 'C'. Please help?
tim
Course Students

by tim Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:05 pm

This is a common pitfall. Remember that you have to *fully* analyze each statement separately to see if it works *before* combining them to see if they work together. Just because the statements in conjunction will answer the question does not mean the answer is C. In fact, on *every* question for which A, B, or D is the answer, the statements combined will be sufficient. Remember though that A, B, and D trump C in this regard if either (or both) of the statements is sufficient on its own.
Tim Sanders

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html