Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
Yuguang
Students

A commemorative silver dollar coin, issued in the same year

by Yuguang Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:48 pm

Instructors

I found this question and have questions:

A commemorative silver dollar coin, issued in the same year as the bicentennial of Lewis and Clark's expedition were celebrated, features the likeness of Meriwether Lewis and William Clark on the obverse and two feathers on the reverse.

A. A commemorative silver dollar coin, issued in the same year as the bicentennial of Lewis and Clark's expedition were celebrated,
B. A commemorative silver dollar coin, issued in the same year of celebration as the bicentennial of Lewis and Clark's expedition,
C. A commemorative silver dollar coin was issued in the same year that the bicentennial of Lewis and Clark's expedition was celebrated,
D. A commemorative silver dollar coin, issued in the same year that the bicentennial of Lewis and Clark's expedition was celebrated,
E. Issued in the same year as the bicentennial of Lewis and Clark's expedition were celebrated, a commemorative silver dollar coin

souce: Ka**an

OA=D but I though "that" has a problem and should be replaced by "when". Please suggest.
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: A commemorative silver dollar coin, issued in the same year

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:28 am

I don't quite understand your question. Are you suggesting that this should be the correct answer choice (i.e. answer D with one word changed)?
A commemorative silver dollar coin, issued in the same year when the bicentennial of Lewis and Clark's expedition was celebrated, features the likeness of Meriwether Lewis and William Clark on the obverse and two feathers on the reverse.
Perhaps you're applying the rule that "'when' is used to modify a place". This is certainly true in examples such as this one:
The coldest part of the night, when temperatures often drop to -10 degrees, is 3am.
However, note that in my example, I used a simple noun modifier that modifies 'the coldest part of the night'. In the example above the construction is more complicated: we don't have a noun modifier giving extra information about 'the same year'. In fact, the word 'that' in answer choice D doesn't denote a modifier, it's part of the construction 'the same X that Y'.