The smoke has cleared, the test has come and gone. Feel free to share your experiences with your peers.
Mikus

770 (50Q, 47V), Retake from 680 (48Q, 34V)

by Mikus Sat May 03, 2008 6:04 pm

So I had already taken the test once about a month ago using Princeton Review materials, and scored a 680. My Princeton Review practice tests were all between 670-730, so 680 was slightly disappointing for me. My goal was really 700+, and my verbal score was always holding me back. So I decided to dump the materials, and do an independent study with MGMAT materials instead.

Totally glad I did. I think MGMAT focuses much more on some of the harder techniques, so you can really improve upon skill deficiencies.

MGMAT1: 710 (48Q, 39V)
MGMAT2: 730 (48Q, 42V)
MGMAT3: 720 (49Q, 39V)
MGMAT4: 750 (49Q, 44V)
MGMAT5: 750 (51Q, 41V)

I stopped taking practice tests once I started exhausting the 700-800 level math questions. Relative to PR, I'd say the math was much more difficult, which helped for pacing purposes since the first time I took the GMATs I found I was really pushed to hurry along. Getting used to difficult questions made the real test seem slightly easier in comparison. PR had me consistently at 51Q, 99% on all my practice tests-- which I think was NOT representative of the actual exam.

When my verbal score started improving drastically on all my MGMAT practice tests, I was skeptical that the MGMAT actually mirrored the actual exam since Verbal has never been my strong suit. But ended up scoring 99% on the actual thing thanks to some really focused SC studying. (I didn't really study RC and CR that much, because I found that SC was the most reliable area in which very analytical people like me could improve. I like studying rules).

Good luck to people taking it! And for people planning to retake-- definitely go for it. Thanks to MGMAT for a great set of materials!
Sudhan

by Sudhan Sat May 03, 2008 6:27 pm

That is a Terrific Score! Many congrats and good luck for your application process.

Re: 770 (50Q, 47V), Retake from 680 (48Q, 34V)

by Guest Mon May 26, 2008 11:44 pm

Mikus Wrote:So I had already taken the test once about a month ago using Princeton Review materials, and scored a 680. My Princeton Review practice tests were all between 670-730, so 680 was slightly disappointing for me. My goal was really 700+, and my verbal score was always holding me back. So I decided to dump the materials, and do an independent study with MGMAT materials instead.

Totally glad I did. I think MGMAT focuses much more on some of the harder techniques, so you can really improve upon skill deficiencies.

MGMAT1: 710 (48Q, 39V)
MGMAT2: 730 (48Q, 42V)
MGMAT3: 720 (49Q, 39V)
MGMAT4: 750 (49Q, 44V)
MGMAT5: 750 (51Q, 41V)

I stopped taking practice tests once I started exhausting the 700-800 level math questions. Relative to PR, I'd say the math was much more difficult, which helped for pacing purposes since the first time I took the GMATs I found I was really pushed to hurry along. Getting used to difficult questions made the real test seem slightly easier in comparison. PR had me consistently at 51Q, 99% on all my practice tests-- which I think was NOT representative of the actual exam.

When my verbal score started improving drastically on all my MGMAT practice tests, I was skeptical that the MGMAT actually mirrored the actual exam since Verbal has never been my strong suit. But ended up scoring 99% on the actual thing thanks to some really focused SC studying. (I didn't really study RC and CR that much, because I found that SC was the most reliable area in which very analytical people like me could improve. I like studying rules).

Good luck to people taking it! And for people planning to retake-- definitely go for it. Thanks to MGMAT for a great set of materials!

Hi mike,
I am struggling a lot with SC but am able to do pretty decently in CR an RC. How is the MGMAT SC guide ??? will going thru that help me or is there any other book that would be better. Please guide me.