The smoke has cleared, the test has come and gone. Feel free to share your experiences with your peers.
tali62

750 (Q50, V41)

by tali62 Sat May 05, 2007 5:51 pm

Just wanted to thank the folks at Manhattan. The CATs and question banks were really useful. Thanks again guys.

I posted this on scoretop :

Hi Guys,

It's my lucky day today. I managed 750 in my first and last attempt. It's not an earth shattering score but I'm happy. Thanks a lot to everybody at scoretop. I spent around 2-3 months preparing for the test. I found the GPrep section of the scoretop forum most useful. All questions from GMATPrep are discussed here. Of all the questions that you'll find anywhere, these are the best and most representative (along with OG of course). There's nothing new to write about the test. A lot of other people have already posted their in-depth analysis. There are two such posts that I liked very much:

http://www.scoretop.com/forum/forum_pos ... TID=35848& PN=1

http://www.scoretop.com/GH_ShowArticle.asp?HID=13

If you go thru these, you will know almost everything that's there to know about gmat.

Some mistakes I and insights:

1. For AWA-analysis of an issue, I prepared a template that was "against the author's argument" and on the real gmat I got a topic that I wanted to support. So, I kind of ended up in a mess. Tried to improvise something but it just didn't click. I'll be happy if I get 4 something.

2. This one is funny: the real gmat screens were exactly similar to gmatprep screens and somewhere in the middle of the test I forgot that I was actually writing a real gmat and maybe clicked a few troublesome questions without giving much thot as I used to do with gmatprep. So, be careful.

3. The quant section was not as difficult as it is gmatprep. I fumbled on just one word problem but the rest were easy. But since I couldn't manage 51, I must have done a few more mistakes. But if you are careful and don't make too many silly mistakes then this section is manageable. Don't let some very difficult question of gmatprep demotivate you. I didn't see any of them in the real test. Practice all Number properties DS questions. You'll get plenty of them. In my preparation I was making quite a few mistakes in DS and especially in number properties problems. And I realized that many a times I was missing questions like these :

Is |n| < 1 ?

(1) nx - n < 0

(2) x-1 = -2

I noticed that I was still trying to use my high school algebra tricks to solve such questions. I was playing with the expressions, trying to get x in terms of y and y in terms of z and all that. This wasn't helping me much. Then I started using real numbers to work with these questions and that helped. Of course, you've to do some analysis and use some intelligent numbers. Maybe I'll write more about it some other time.

4. Manhattan CATS and Manhattan question banks. These are really good, especially CATS. I'll rate them second most useful resource after gmaptprep.

That's all I can think of for now. Will write more if I remember something.

Enjoy

Tauqueer