The smoke has cleared, the test has come and gone. Feel free to share your experiences with your peers.
nehajadoo
Students

700 (v37 Q48) Retaking and Lessons Learnt

by nehajadoo Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:40 pm

Hi All,

I had my test this morning and scored a 700. I would say I am disappointed because I was expecting like a 740 or so but after going through todays' experience, I want to share some things I took granted for, over-looked and need to learn from.

Ok, I am not saying I was expecting 740 because thats how my practice tests were. My tests were more like 670/680/690 usually. However, I was doing poorly for quant (low 40s) and decent for verbal (low 40s). I had full time work this week Mon-Wed and the way prep was: I focused more on quant these last 2-3days (MGMAT tests and OG ques) while I had spent more time on verbal (spe SC my weakness the weeks before).

My split today was 48quant (decent by most ppl standard but yay for me) and 37 for verbal (Disaster for me today). This was a wake up call for me. In both, V and Q i had 7-8q left in the last2-3min so i juz skimmed through at breakneck speed and answered somehow. I wasn't surprised that I had ques left in Q but Very Very shocked that I was so slow in V this morning. I am generally a fast reader and never have problems finishing exams, timing wise.I have a good reading speed, RC is usually my forte. Reflecting back, I took a lil' too long checking and double checking my SC problems which slowed me down and I guess now I know why. Even though my V prep was pretty good till last week, I slacked off in V these last 3-4days and focused only on math (Having 3 full days of work didnt help either but still). Thus, my SC prep wasn't as strong as I thought which led me to double guessing my answers and wasting a lot of time.

Also, even though I tried MGMAT, princeton and 800score.com tests in addition to Gmat Prep, I did Not finish OG for any section. I think I have about 40% OG left at least. But I thought that's Ok since I did prac tests. Lesson Learnt again!

Also, I think the math ques are harder in the actual test than in OG, more of MGMAT standard. However, I personally felt that MGMAT V was slightly easier than the test. (Or maybe I just feel so cos i scored low today).

Also, Stamina is important! I wasn't tired in the exam (though hungry) but when I did my prac tests, the review of the incorrect questions was rather cursory. Which is why i had to review the wrong ones again the night before Gmat. Also, when I did OG, I only check the wrong ones, (I just somehow dont have the patience to review the ques I had right thought I know its imp to review All attempted OG ques..Help!)

Now about re-taking, I know my potential for V is a lot higher and it was a wake up of sorts this morning. I know it will be pointless if i re-take and score ard 710/720. I want to aim for 750 atleast since I wanna retake. Apart from the mistakes I made, someone suggest a Good strategy?

Hope that listing out my complacencies helped those in a similar situation.

Regards
nehajadoo
Students

Re: 700 (v37 Q48) Retaking and Lessons Learnt

by nehajadoo Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:23 am

Hi All,

A lil disappointed no one responded. I always see this community as very forthcoming and helpful. Perhaps one of the instructors wantto step in and provide wise words and retaking. I am becoming increasingly stressed by the no. of stories on lowered test scores on retakes =(
vats.com
Students

by vats.com Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:53 am

Hey, IMHO i would not advise re-taking the GMAT (unless you have a very strong reason to do so). You would have to take a decision based on your profile(acads, work exp etc..), schools u are aspiring for etc.. all these things will come into play and should considered when you decide whether to retake the GMAT.

coz.. trust me .. 700 is a good enough score to be considered by reputed b-schools worldwide :)

share your profile .. it'll give more info. to ppl on this forum ..
subhakam
Course Students

by subhakam Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:38 pm

Congratulations and I will take your score any darn day!!
pritesh.shah
Students

by pritesh.shah Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:31 am

Hi Neha,

700 is not such a bad score.
If you have got a great profile,this score would be more than good to go with.But on an average profile a GREAT score will always help.

Also the gap between 700 and 750 is a big one.
So if you feel that you under performed and are confident of getting the magic score,you should most definitely consider appearing again.

I suggest,talk to the alumunus/seniors of the college you want to get in before making your decision.Again,you shall be the best judge on whether to reappear.

Hope this helps.
God bless.

Pritesh