The smoke has cleared, the test has come and gone. Feel free to share your experiences with your peers.
ashish.mishra
Students

700 to 770(Q49,V 47,IR 5),Strategy for working professionals

by ashish.mishra Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:37 pm

This was my third GMAT attempt,ton the previous two I scored 700 and 710 respectively which I knew I can improve by a little practice.However it took me more than a year to reappear for the test due to my work commitments. I.I work full-time in a start up where a regular work day would stretch beyond 12-14 hours and being in a client facing role did not help one bit.During weekdays I was so stressed that I could hardly think about GMAT until I started realizing that despite all the work I would never be able to escape middle management.
In May 2015 I decided to retake the test.However I dawdled along for a month with just practicing 10-15 questions a day.Soon it was August and I realized that I had not been committed enough to take the test,hence, I came up with a study plan.I scheduled the exam on September 23, keeping 40 days to prepare.I took the first GMAT Prep Software test and got a score of 710.I analyzed my responses and found that I lacked in the following areas:
    Data Sufficiency
    Critical Reasoning
    Sentence Correction

On the RC I was scoring at a 90% success rate,and I was good in problem solving in Quants,so I didn't practice these sections a lot.
The fallacy in my strategy was that I pushed practicing Data Sufficiency till the very end hence got only 49 in the quants section.To prepare for Critical Reasoning, I purchased the Manhattan GMAT Strategy Guide e book on Kindle,the reason I purchased an ebook instead of a paperback was that it allowed me to keep reading the book on my devices during lunch and boring meetings.I read the book section-wise and the book provides a logical structure to solve CR questions.For each question, I created a mental map,with Prem, Counter-Prem,Assump,Conclusion,Background and fallacy identified in each statement.The biggest change in my strategy after using Manhattan CR was that I started putting pen to the paper for CR questions, I started drawing the map for each question which significantly improved my CR accuracy.
For SC , when I started, my accuracy was around 65%.I practiced a lot in the initial days but could never score beyond the 70% accuracy,hence I used the Manhattan SC and solved the whole OG SC section again using the Manhattan chapters.In the final Manhattan tests I was able to get more than 85% accuracy in the SC questions.

As far as my study plan, I studied two hours daily on workdays and four hours on weekdays for a month and almost 6 hours per day in the last week. I always started with Quants and then moved to Verbal so that I would be accustomed to the GMAT pattern.
I did not complete all 6 Manhattan tests because I was having a lot of workload in the last week but I did solve 4 and always spend two hours analyzing the performance.
Overall , I am a bit dissatisfied with My Quants score, but I think that putting in a planned effort in improving Verbal paid off a nice dividend in the final score.
On a final note, any competitive exam needs self belief, patience and support from the loved ones.I am lucky to have a supportive brother and a partner who always motivated me despite making personal sacrifices themselves .This score also reflects the blessings of my parents who always supported my ideas,however hare-brained they might be.
NarendranA205
Forum Guests

Re: 700 to 770(Q49,V 47,IR 5),Strategy for working professionals

by NarendranA205 Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:24 am

Congratulations on the great score ashish.!! V-47 is such a rarity. I am struggling a bit in RC, any suggestions on how to improve.? Verbal is my strong point (scored V-40 & 41 in mocks). Aim is to score in the bracket of 42-44.

Regards,
Narendran.
christ628
Forum Guests

Re: 700 to 770(Q49,V 47,IR 5),Strategy for working professionals

by christ628 Fri May 01, 2020 1:16 pm

Sharp & Fellows Inc. has been in business as a railroad contracting company since 1877. Specializing in railroad track construction, maintenance, inspection and lubrication, design, demolition, and special projects. Our main goal is to continue to exceed all customer expectations and railroad service needs. With two locations to better serve you in Los Angeles and San Bernardino, our company is the right one for you.