If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
arthi9487
Forum Guests

680 with very low Quant (app strategy?)

by arthi9487 Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:03 pm

Hi!

I could really use some advice on how to proceed with my R2 apps, given the approaching deadlines. On my 3rd attempt at the GMAT (yes 3rd), I scored a 680 with my Quant remaining the same from the last test (43- 58th percentile) and my Verbal (40- 90th percentile) increasing by one point. I am debating between applying this year in R2 or holding off until R1 of next year. My school choices are Kellogg, Columbia, and Stern, given my limited time, but am also interested in Booth, Sloan, or Haas especially if my odds are better.

I have a 3.67 GPA with an undergrad and a Masters degree in Accounting from a state school. 3 years work experience at a Big 4 Accounting firm in their Advisory group with some international focus and advanced Spanish skills. I am now working in the Internal Audit group at a Fortune 500 company. Accounting is seen as quant-based, so given this and the fact that I got As/Bs in my undergrad math classes, is my raw Quant score a problem?

Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated!!
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: 680 with very low Quant (app strategy?)

by mbamissionjenK Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:05 pm

Hi there,

So the 680 is not bad, with a strong profile, and it sounds like you have some solid work experience and definitely as you said, quant experience. The quant percentile is pretty low though, so would be a negative on your application.

One concern at this point is can you even pull any apps together before R2 deadlines if you have not already??? Those essays are time consuming and involved, and you'd also need strong recommendations in time....

If you decide to go for it, I think the 6 schools you mentioned are all within the same ballpark and the 3 you are leaning towards first are fine to start with. You may decide to briefly comment on your quant score and how/why you don't feel it reflects your ability to handle the quantitative nature of b-school, if you have anything to say along those lines.

Good luck with tough decisions!!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php