If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
AceTheGM@
Course Students

680 GMAT vs. 730 GRE for top bschool?

by AceTheGM@ Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:34 pm

Hello,
I studied a lot for the GMAT, didn't do as well as I'd hoped, and am considering taking the GRE instead. If I study a bit more, here's the score I predict I would get on each test:

GMAT: 680
GRE: 730

I'm applying to HBS, Kellogg, Tuck, etc. Which test do you advise that I ultimately study for and take?

Thanks!
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: 680 GMAT vs. 730 GRE for top bschool?

by mbamissionjenK Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:02 pm

Hi there,

Hmm, first of all the GRE scores aren't reported in that way anymore? Verbal and Quant are each scored from 130-170. And then each score has a percentile.

When the schools accept either score, which more and more do, then you'd aim for the exam you feel you can perform the best on. Percentiles are a helpful indicator, roughly, of how you compare to other test takers. I suggest doing a realistic, full-length computer adaptive exam of each (practice) to best assess. Some people prefer GMAT , without the vocabulary-focused short verbal q's that GRE still has some of, but others feel GMAT math is tougher (and no data sufficiency on GRE, though some of the newer GRE q's over the past 2 years have become more difficult than the prior GRE quant version).

Good luck!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php