The smoke has cleared, the test has come and gone. Feel free to share your experiences with your peers.
FO841
Students

660(V41 Q39) after over a year of inconsistent study

by FO841 Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:31 am

I decided to take the GMAT since last year. I prepared through only self-study. I bought the Kaplan Book, Manhattan GMAT Pack, and the 3 Official Guides.

I studied for the GMAT for over a year but it was regularly inconsistent. Work demands or other emergencies often required that to postpone practice for long periods -sometimes months.

Still, I went through the entire Kaplan GMAT book and all the Manhattan Guides but I didn’t have enough time to go through most of the practise questions before taking the test. In the end my GMAT score was lower than my lowest practice test.

Here are my scores below. As you will see, verbal was always a strong point, and my quant was weak
CAT 1 (Manhattan GMAT) – 620(V37, Q37 Date -Sep 27
CAT 2 (Manhattan GMAT) – 620 (V36 Q38) – Date -Oct 11
CAT 3 (Manhattan GMAT) – 710 (V45 Q41) – Jan 12
CAT 4 (Manhattan GMAT) -660 (V45 Q36) - April 23
CAT 5 (Manhattan GMAT)- 680 (V45 Q37) – June 18
CAT 6 (Manhattan GMAT)- 670 (V42 Q39) – June 25
CAT 7 (Official GMAT PACK 2) – 720 (V47 Q43) – Jul 16
CAT 8 (Official GMAT PACK 2) – 670 (V41 Q41) – Jul 16
Actual GMAT – 660((V41 Q39) IR 40% Jul 25

In the actual exam, I imagine that exam pressure and some disruptions at the test centre lowered my verbal score from V45-V47(99th percentile) in test exams to V41 (94thpercentile). All the same, what’s clear to see is that my quant was always weak and would not have been persuasive for a top 5 MBA program. I think doing all the practice official guide questions is a good place to start with improving my quant but…

How would you recommend that I raise my quant score, and fine-tune my verbal score to steady 99th percentile?

I have gone through all the examples in Manhattan GMAT Math more than once, so I do feel tired of re-reading the same material and repeating the questions in each chapter.
I am applying to top 5 MBAs in September next year. I had wanted to work on other parts of my application profile till December – more social/community involvement- study from Jan-April and retake the GMAT in April.

Do you think this is a solid strategy? To abandon GMAT material for 4 months before taking it up again? The thing is that I work long hours at a demanding job; even finding time for community/social involvement will be hard and attempting to combine that with intensive GMAT practice is likely impractical.

How should I proceed? Thanks a lot.
Please note that joining tutor programs isn't an option for me - too costly, so I do need the most cost-effective options.
Please let me know if you require more information.