Experiencing a writing block? Why don't you try clearing it up in here!
gadwin1929
Students

4 well developed paragraphs or 5 shorter ones for essays?

by gadwin1929 Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:49 am

Hi. I've attempted several essays so far, and in 30 minutes time, I've noticed that I can get either 4 well developed paragraphs (inlcuding intro/conclusion) or 5 shorter paragraphs (inlcuding intro/conclusion). The ideal scenario is to get 5 well developed paragraphs but alas, that is "ideal" and may not happen come test time for me.

Anyways, I'm not quite sure how GMAC scores essays so I was wondering which is usually better - 4 well developed paragaphs or 5 shorter ones. Specifically, during my testing, when I start writing the paragraphs for the body of my essay, I may not have enough time for the 3rd body paragraph. There are pros and cons with 2 well developed body paragraphs versus 3 shorter less developed body paragraphs:

Pro with 2 well developed body paragraphs:

- Each paragraph and example is more fleshed out and discussed in more depth

Con with with 2 well developed body paragraphs:

- 2 examples is a bit weak, compared to 3 examples.

Does anybody have any advice on what to choose? How would GMAC rate an essay with 4 well developed paragraphs versus one with 5 shorter paragraphs, all other things being equal?
esledge
Forum Guests

Re: 4 well developed paragraphs or 5 shorter ones for essays?

by esledge Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:12 pm

I'm not sure exactly how length of each paragraph factors into the essay score, but I strongly suspect that it is overall length that matters most. For other reasons, I tend to lean toward 5 paragraphs of shorter length.

If you can present 3 main ideas instead of just 2, it's more likely that you will "cover your bases."

I'd worry more about neglecting to mention a major assumption/flaw in the argument than about how beautifully you write. When people are brainstorming under timed conditions, a common problem is for them to get stuck on a train of thought. For example, a certain business plan may be described for an Analysis of an Argument essay. A person might brainstorm several different points, but they all tend to focus on the logistics of the plan. Really developing two paragraphs on two of these points can actually become a liability (redundant, unnecessary wordiness, etc.) By planning to write more briefly about three points, you prompt yourself in the brainstorming process to come up with something new/different. For example, you might end up writing a paragraph on logistics, a paragraph on research that could be done, and a paragraph on unintended consequences of the plan. Such an essay will be much more complete, even if it has fewer words.

But that's just my opinion, admittedly influenced by the fact that I struggle to write even two well-developed/flowing paragraphs (alas, I write like an engineer...). I don't think your score would suffer much from either strategy.
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT