If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
dawn07

2 years to applying - how to become a competitive candidate?

by dawn07 Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:29 pm

I am a recent college grad (Stanford) and finished up with a 3.93 GPA, Phi Beta Kappa in my junior year, and got distinction within my major (economics). I am going to start working at a top 3 consulting firm this fall and am hoping to apply to bschool after two years. I know that entering this very generic field, from which there are TONS of bschool applicants, puts me at a disadvantage. I am planning to finish up the GMAT before starting work in a couple of months and will put a lot of work into my apps when it comes time for that. what other things will make me a strong applicant? how important are recs, and are there any tips about how to get great ones? should i seek out relationships with people outside my workplace, through my volunteer experience, as recommenders? I'm aiming for stanford or harvard... am i being realistic? i am caucasian and a woman, and I do have a disadvantaged background and very interesting story to share (american dream type stuff).

thoughts? advice? i know there's no "formula" for a successful bschool app but i'd like to do anything i can now to make myself a strong candidate.

ps i took a practice gmat and got a 750 though my math was only 77th percentile--it was the verbal that pulled me up that far.
MBAApply

by MBAApply Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:03 pm

You should be more competitive than you think.

If you mean "top3" to be McKinsey, Bain or BCG, they are big feeders to the top schools. At HBS, Stanford and Wharton you'll see that a big proportion of the ex-consultants there are from these three firms. There are a lot of these consultants who apply, but there are a lot who get in as well.

As a consultant, one of the key things is timing - the overwhelming majority have 2 - 3 years consulting + 0 - 2 years post-consulting experience. So as a management consultant, you want to apply before you're 5 years out of college.

Beyond that, if you have time to stay involved in any extracurriculars or volunteer activities (there is no preferred activity, just find something you enjoy doing or that you care about), then that would be ideal, but not necessary.

Also, if you work at McKinsey, Bain or BCG, they all have internal resources to help you out with the b-school app process, both formal and informal -- whether it's best practices guidelines for BAs applying to school, or other consultants who will be there to help you. It's an environment that is about as supportive of the MBA admissions process as any.

As for rec letters, they are the least important part of the process. The most important thing to do is: don't piss off your bosses. The hardest part of the rec letter is nagging them to get them done on time (as most people naturally procrastinate on these things).

Good luck

Alex
alex@mbaapply.com
www.mbaapply.com
http://mbaapply.blogspot.com