If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
AllanB695
Students

107 Toefl - Should apply for HBS?

by AllanB695 Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:04 pm

Just received my last toefl score

first try 107 (30 reading/30 listening/25 speaking/22 writing)
last try 106 (28/28/24/26)

gmat: 730 q47 v44 (verbal quite strong)
cfa lvl 2 approved
brazilian
classic story about poor guy from poor family that succeds somehow
economics degree from best university in brazil
working in a trading desk for a big investment firm
recommender is a hbs alumni

should I apply for hbs in the first round?

I mean, i know that i'm not in the 109 cutoff, but 107 seems so close! my verbal score in gmat was very good, so it could balance a bit...

Or my chances are better if I try toefl again and apply for the second round if a get a toefl > 109?
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

Re: 107 Toefl - Should apply for HBS?

by mbaMissionKate Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:54 pm

Hi there!
I see you posted this last week, so not sure if you've decided already. It's a tough call in these situations, as I agree you are sooo close on the TOEFL score, and your GMAT verbal is excellent. I lean slightly towards going for R1, and giving yourself that R1 edge, since everything in your profile seems strong otherwise. If you can, make sure that your recommender speaks to your communication skills and specifically to your fit with the case method (since HBS alum). That slight preference for R1 is assuming you've already worked on the written components (essay mainly) and feel good about the quality of those. But, if you feel very certain you could raise your TOEFL score, and waiting could also improve other components (like give you more time on the essay), then I wouldn't rush it.
Hope that helps!
Kate
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
AllanB695
Students

by AllanB695 Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:23 pm

I tried IELTS and got 8.0! hbs's minimum is 7.5, so i'm good now

i completely forgot about ielts....i think it is a easier test as the speaking section is with a real person instead of with a computer...i felt much more comfortable!

anyway, tks for your feedback
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

by mbaMissionKate Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:51 pm

That's great! And helpful to know about IELTS for other applicants. Best of luck to you!

AllanB695 Wrote:I tried IELTS and got 8.0! hbs's minimum is 7.5, so i'm good now

i completely forgot about ielts....i think it is a easier test as the speaking section is with a real person instead of with a computer...i felt much more comfortable!

anyway, tks for your feedback
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php